Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mediterranean Month-Week 2:





1301 Chestnut Street                                          
Emmaus, PA  18049


I believe I entered this restaurant by default.  The first time I went I was meeting a friend at a nearby café which happened to be closed.  We chose True Blue instead and we were not disappointed.  Formerly known as True Blue Café & Bakery, the restaurant continues to include a full variety of coffee drinks.  Nothing like enjoying my favorite summer treat, iced coffee, with a good Mediterranean meal.  
I chose the falafel pita.  This can also be ordered as a Panini (my choice upon my 2nd return to True Blue).  While this phrase describes a “fusion” trend, having the gyro pressed and grilled, added to its delight.  Along with gyros, I have found falafel, especially good falafel, to be a rare selection in the Lehigh Valley. 
I confidently told the restaurant owner, I believe it was the best falafel I have had, though I don’t claim to be an expert.  He confidently exclaimed in an authentic accent and passionate spirit, “That is because it is made from the heart!”  If that is the case, consider my heart won for this quaint, quiet choice for a lunch date.    The chicken and lamb gyros look great too.  Besides the accompanying iced coffee, my heart was also sold on the side offered with each lunch selection:  a small cup of hummus and pita chips, a healthy and thoughtful touch! 
The menu included a variety of other Mediterranean selections for entrees and dessert for an under $10 price. The inner environment almost feels like a garden cafe.  However, on a warm day, True Blue offers outdoor seating on a side patio.      
 

Would I return?  Yes, I would return.  I will most likely reserve this choice for a lunch date with an adventurous friend.  If you are looking for a simple Mediterranean place with a pleasing aesthetic environment, try True Blue.
Average Price:  Under $10 
 



2 comments:

  1. My family and I totally discovered this place the other week! We were just driving along Main Street in Emmaus looking for some sort of restaurant to eat at, and we saw the flashing Gyro sign in the window. It was nice, quiet, casual but delicious! Their lamb gyros were great! The rice was awesome too! My mom also ordered the tabole (spelling) and that was very different but delicious. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to this wonderful little restaurant today with a friend...for the first time, and absolutely LOVED everything about it! The owners are some of the friendliest people I've met. It's quiet and inviting in every way. The food did not disappoint! Upon the above recommendation I had the falafel gyro atltho it was a difficult decision. The choices all sounded great. My friend had the cauliflower wrap...lightly fried cauliflower with lettuce and tomato and lemonaize sauce in a sundried tomato wrap. She said it was DELICIOUS! We ended our meal with awesome espresso drinks...my almond joy was flavored perfectly! Can't wait to return~

    ReplyDelete